Wednesday, March 10, 2010

New (adorable) Neighbors

So as I mentioned, GC and I bought a house! Considering all the other hugely emotional happenings in our life at the time, I can't believe we actually made it through what turned out to be an incredibly dramatic and frustrating home-buying experience (it legitimately took us 45 minutes to tell our friends the whole story from beginning to end, challenging sellers to say the least!) But make it through we did, and now we have our lovely home to live in and love for years to come.

With our new home, came a lovely little in-town neighborhood, close enough to walk to all our favorite haunts, but far enough away to allow for wide streets and low traffic. The folks we now call our neighbors, so far, have proven themselves friendly and welcoming. Just the other night, as I was cooking dinner and GC was heading upstairs to put away the laundry, some surprise visitor's tapped on our front door. The wife and two daughters from the family across the street stood on our porch, each laden with a different gift. One daughter (probably 5 or so) held brownies, the other (maybe 3 years old) held a handmade card wrapped in cellophane, and the mom a big bouquet of early Spring flowers.

I'm sure the shocked, appreciative faces of GC and I were thanks enough, but to remove all doubt at how nice it was for them to have gone through all that trouble, we thanked them effusively. After a few minutes of chatting, our neighbors headed home and I rushed back to the stove to the fish I had been cooking, fearing it burnt to a crisp. Fortunately, I caught it just in time and GC and I sat down to a nice meal. While eating, I opened the card made by the girls and proceeded to let out a giant belly laugh.

The front of the card read, "We hope you like home, Welcome!" A very sweet note. On the back however, the card read, "P.S. We have a lucky peny for you." Penny spelled with one "n". Upon looking, there was in fact a penny in the cellophane wrapper. No explanation as to why we might need a lucky penny, but just in case.

It made my night. I like home already :)

No comments: