Friday, February 25, 2011

Snow days

Snow days as a grown up aren't quite what they used to be, are they? You still have to go to work. You're required to navigate your way through snowy terrain in a less than perfectly equipped Honda Civic (though all the while priding yourself in your stellar abilities to work "with" the snow/ice/slush). Now it's your job to clear the sidewalks in front of you house, sadly without the thought of dinner being hot on the table when you get inside to push you on, you'll have to make that too if you want it. No, it's not all pajamas and daytime TV , sledding and hot cocoa. It's a cold world out there.

But still, I'd be lying to if I called these snow filled-days in Upstate, NY a downer. Even in the depths of winter when the mutual vitamin D deficient population yearns for spring and sunshine, they are magical. From my office window, it's as if I am living in a snow globe paradise, so heavily is the snow falling and swirling.

Tonight, I'll engage in a lovely, snowflakes on eye lashes walk with my husband wearing my biggest and baddest "winter in the Northeast" ensemble; knee length down jacket, leather fur-lined bomber hat, wool gloves, scarf, and snow boots (don't be fooled, it's a hot look). Tomorrow, I'll carry my dancing shoes in hand (really, who would try to walk in strappy heels through a blizzard!) and then dance the night away at a Mad Men themed gala (you better believe I'm dressing up and wearing a bouffant!) On Sunday, I'll petition heavily for a outdoor cross country skiing romp through the near by park. And then? Then I'll make myself a grown up hot cocoa (dark chocolate, milk, and a shot of... something!) and a dinner fit for royalty (aka me and my tolerant-of-cooking whims, husband).

Who needs a snow day :)

No comments: